How Regular Guys Make Millions By Dating Supermodels
Mystery. Ross Jeffries. Neil Strauss. David DeAngelo.
Are any of these names familiar? If so, you’ve probably read The Game.
The Game is a book by Neil Strauss about pick-up artists, a group of men who claim to have “learnt the art of seducing any woman.”
The guys featured in the book are ordinary in every way. They aren’t particularly attractive, rich, or famous. And yet, they manage to date the most astonishing group of women: supermodels, actresses, you name it.
So how did they do it? I have no idea! I read the book, and I’m still single.
What’s more interesting to me is how they leveraged their “secrets” into a lucrative business.
Take David DeAngelo (who's real name is actually Eben Pagan). DeAngelo is the founder of a program called “Double Your Dating.” If you visit the website, you’ll see a whole host of information products – ebooks, DVDs, and even seminars and workshops.
I have no idea if this will actually help you "double your dating." But one thing's for sure: there's definitely a huge market for it. Take a look at the traffic that Double Your Dating receives each month (image from Compete.com)
Clearly, DeAngelo has managed to build a large following, and from what I hear, he’s making a ton of money.
I decided to study DeAngelo's site to see exactly what he was doing right. I walked through his entire sales funnel, including signing up for his free e-mail newsletter. Eventually, I began to see exactly why he was able to get so many sales. Here are a few key messages that help DeAngelo generate massive sales numbers:
- Anyone Can Do It: This is the single most important message. DeAngelo makes it clear from the start that dating amazing women isn't just a privilege for a small number of guys. He emphasizes that when he started, he was just an ordinary guy who was struggling in the dating world. With his techniques, anyone will be able to replicate his success. This is a powerful message that casts a net over an extremely wide market.
- Practice What You Preach: DeAngelo isn't just a theorist. He has put all of his techniques into action, and repeatedly mentions this in the form of case studies and examples. He walks his students step-by-step through each technique, and explains exactly why it works the way it works. This gives him a massive boost in credibility.
- Friendly Sales Copy: DeAngelo makes a point of ending all of his e-mails and webpages with the phrase "your friend, David D." This friendly tone does a good job of convincing the reader that DeAngelo is really interested in helping them meet women, and not just out to make a quick buck. The e-mails are also very personal: they often discuss DeAngelo's struggles early on, and ask questions like "has this ever happened to you?" forcing the reader to think about past failures that he would like to avoid.
- Broad Product Offerings: Although David DeAngelo focuses on dating success, he offers a wide variety of specific products that cater to particular needs and interests. He breaks down his products into three broad categories: dating essentials (which are the "must haves"), inner game programs (which focus on how to develop confidence), and technique programs (which focus on actual pick-up situations). DeAngelo offers more than $1,000 worth of products in total, which allows him to upsell effectively and maximize the lifetime value of a customer.
- Money Back Guarantee: I've talked about this before, and it really does work. By offering a money-back guarantee, DeAngelo takes the risk away from the buyer. He is effectively saying that the buyer can't lose. Sure, he's going to get some refunds, but he'll also boost sales dramatically.
A final thought: Lots of people think that customizing your message to your audience is everything. Don't get me wrong – this is really important – but what's even more crucial is following these few key principals. Good sales copy and broad product offerings, combined with powerful psychological messaging, is going to move merchandising…no matter what niche you are in.
As proof, just take a look at Ramit Sethi's Earn1k sales tactics and observe the similarities.
What other examples have you seen of effective messaging? Please share in the comments.